The following article instructs you on how to add a Three-state workflow to a standard issues tracking and custom list. It is very important before completing these steps that you must have Manage Lists permissions to add a workflow to a list.
How to Add a Three-state Workflow to a List.
Note: You must add a Three-state workflow to a list before you can use it on items in that list. When you add a Three-state workflow to a list, you specify which column in the list contains the state choice values that you want the workflow to track. You also specify information about what you want to occur at each stage of the workflow.
1. First, select the list you wish to add the workflow to. Within the Ribbon under List tools, clickList and Select List Settings.
2. Under Permissions and Management, click Workflow settings.
3. On the Add a Workflow page, the Three-state workflow template should be the default selection.
4. Type in the desired Name for your workflow.
5. In the Task List section, specify a task list to use with the workflow. This article uses the default tasks so that SharePoint users can easily find a view their workflow tasks in the My Task view.
6. In the History List section, select the defaulted history list to use with this workflow. The history list will display all of the events that occur during the workflow process.
7. With the Start Options section, perform the following:
If you wish the workflow to start manually, fill in the "Allow this workflow to be manually started by an authenticated user with Edit Items Permissions" check box. The option "Require Manage Lists Permissions to start the workflow", can also be selected for additional permissions to start the workflow.
To have the workflow start automatically when new items are created, place a check in the "Start this workflow when a new item is created" check box.
8. Once completed Select Next.
9. Workflow States can now be modified. Under "Workflow States", choose the proper Choice field. Your options will be Issue Status, Priority or Category. Once you have made your selection, you must now choose the Initial State of the workflow. Default settings will read Initial State as Active, Middle State as resolved and Final State as closed.
10. The next step is to "Specify what you want to happen when a workflow is initiated" and "Specifying what you want to happen when a workflow changes to its middle state". Each option description has been provided below:
Task Title: You can add any information to this field. When selecting "Include list field”, the drop-down choice will then be added to the custom message.
Task Description: You can add any information to this field. When selecting “Include list field", the drop-down choice will also be added to the custom message. If "Insert link to List item" is selected, a link to the list item will be included in the description. (Note: The URL will have to be a valid address or the link will not function).
Task Due Date: A specific due date can be added to the task. When you select "Include list field", the date column containing the listed date information will be selectable.
Task Assigned To: Each workflow task can be assigned to a user. The user will need to be present in a specified list. Selecting "Include list field", will then bring up the option to select the column that contains the user you wish to use. When this workflow is started, the first task will be assigned to the chosen user. To assign all instances of this workflow to one specified user, select the Custom radial button. You can now type or search for the user you wish to use.
(Note: SharePoint does not build the proper columns in each list automatically. This has to be manually created within the list you wish create this workflow for. For more information, please select the link How to Customize a Custom List).
11. Each modifiable state can be configured to send an Email to specific users. You will need to manually type in the name of the task owner that will receive the workflow alerts. When selecting "Custom", you can then search for the user against your organizations directory.
12. When finished Select OK.